Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Why do I love perfumes?

Although make-up and nail polish never appealed to me as a teenager, I did get caught up in the body spray and deodorant craze.

Growing up in the heat of Australia, full of energy and hormones, we were always too hot, and frequently smelly, so scented sprays seemed like a necessary obsession that my parents were happy to pay for. At my school, the fad in body spray was the brand Impulse, which is actually not even an anti-perspirant, (probably for the best considering we sprayed it everywhere; our hair, face and gym bag included). Impulse is responsible for my love of fragrance. In the 90's, the company would frequently bring out new scents in brightly colored cans with mysterious and attractive titles. I had to have every single one and certain scents became synonymous with important events in my teenage life.

Impulse was a cheap indulgence in the world of perfumery, and at the time (in Australia), it was one of the only available ones. The only 'Body Shop' was in the city and everything else was out of my price range as a teenager with a small allowance. All the same, my mom tried to encourage me with some bottles of real, actual perfume. But it seemed like a luxury item, I barely used them for fear of wasting them and many were too mature or floral for my teenage nose. So I stuck with my body spray and at school we exchanged and shared our favorite cans after every sports class.

It wasn't until I was all grown up, across the world, and had money to spend frivolously that I realised how exciting perfume is as a hobby. Our nose and brain work in amazing tandem with emotion and recollection. A whiff of a familiar scent can transport you back to the exact day and time you last wore it, even if you thought the memories long-forgotten. It is exciting to find yourself transported to another place and time just by a sniff, and perfume is inspiring in the same way as any other form of art, in its form and variety.

You will find on this blog a vast collection of my explorations in perfumery. From my love of Bath and Body Works and The Body Shop, that craft popular scents for the mass-audience, to my search for the weird and wonderful in the niche world of perfume. Some days I want to smell like coconut and others I crave smoky firewood or sugary candy, so my perfume travels are always varied and vast. I hope you enjoy the journey with me on this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment